Sunday 29 January 2012

Stealing Rewards!

THE PROBLEM: There are already some rewards that 8 month old Lusi has learned she can steal from me!


  • Counter Surfing (Almost anything is fair game for her, but especially food left on the counter, any plastic container and the counter cloth. She will shred plastic as though she is a plastic shredder!
  • Chewing my spectacles. I swear that she can sniff them out!
  • Barking outdoors (At squirrels?) Early in the morning when I let her out to do her morning business, Lusi has started barking. I would walk her, but it is just too icy early in the morning at the moment.
  • Hugs and kisses. When I am on the computer she will ask for a hug and kiss by putting her front paws and body over my lap and give me a kiss. .....it feels nice and cute but I know she is stealing because I did not invite her for a cuddle.
The chihuahuas taking over
Lusi's crate!
THE SOLUTION: NILIFF! (Nothing In Life Is For Free). 
It's time to admit it...Lusi is starting to train me quite nicely! I have to get a handle on these bad habits! I think that especially in the morning, when the "counter surfing" offences are most likely to be committed, Lusi must stay in her crate unless I can watch her with full supervision or unless she is on a leash on her mat next to me at the computer. This, however, presupposes that her crate is actually "vacant" and that the chihuahuas are not relaxing in Lusi's crate instead of their own; "it's just so-oo-o comfortable," they tell me!


The barking first thing in the morning is an issue I cannot think of an adequate response to.


No comments:

Post a Comment