Thursday 2 February 2012

Crate travel to the barn

First Trip in the Truck in a Crate!
After several weeks of not taking Lusi to the barn, (not wanting a chewing accident in the new truck), we finally decide to put the crate in the truck and take her. She looks a little put out here in this picture but actually it belies just how cozily she settled down for the journey. 

There were a few winges and whines at the start of the trip because Lusi is used to travelling on the front seat; once she realized that she could actually see out both of the front and the side windows she snuggled down and we didn't have a peep again!
Winter thaw in February.

I was quite surprised just how good she was at the barn, waiting patiently for me while I lunged Dande. At lunch time I took her for a good walk off leash along the trail. The snow had compacted into slick ice where the snowmobilers had been which made the going quite tricky in places, despite the winter thaw. At one point Lusi left the trail and investigated the bog just off the trail; fortunately for her the ice was still sufficient to take her weight as she scrambled across it and squeezed her way through a hole in the fence. I was a little alarmed that she had got through the mesh fence. My immediate reaction was thinking that I was definitely not going across the bog to fetch her. After about five minutes of various attempts to return to me she finally figured out where the hole in the fence was and I watched as she squeezed back through again. 


We made our way back to the truck and she sat quietly as I ate my lunch and yes, I did give her a little of my bagel! Back to the barn to the big event of hitching Dande for the first time in three months. Two more hours in the crate for Lusi until I am finished and then we drive home together; Lusi is still perfectly relaxed and happy in her little house. Chalk up one more break through!(I think that is #3!).


We got home with just enough light for her to have one more good gallop across the fields and then to come home looking like a mudball but she was definitely one very happy Dal.

No comments:

Post a Comment