Monday 6 February 2012

Off hiking with "K9 Expeditions"

Lusi goes out with veteran Stanley
for her first trip with K9 Expeditions
It's Monday morning and we have been getting Lusi ready for her first trip out with Emily Mackinnon from K9 Expeditions! As this is Lusi's first trip out with Emily she will be going on a longline and with just one other dog, Stanley, a German Shorthaired Pointer.


I was confident of Emily's abilities even before I met her having been following her blog for a few months. When she came to meet Lusi last week and brought all the required documentation I was very impressed with her business model. I liked the fact that her protocols were all set up carefully and that in the event of an accident or a lost dog she had all her contingency arrangements set up.


Years ago we had two German Shorthaired Pointers so I was very happy at the idea of Lusi joining a group of sporting dogs for a hiking expedition together. 


Apart from increasing Lusi's confidence generally, I imagined that the hiking would benefit Lusi in the following ways:


  • It would provide an environment for Lusi to increase her socialization with other dogs.
  • She would learn to travel with other dogs.
  • She would become accustomed to a new handler.
  • She would get recall training from someone other than family members.
  • She would have an opportunity to run and exercise with other active sporting dogs.

When Emily arrived I helped load Lusi into her crate in Emily's van. Lusi seemed a little apprehensive but not unduly worried. It reminded me a bit of sending one's child off for their first day of school as I watched Lusi already loaded in her crate and ready to depart. I knew that as soon as they got to their hiking destination they were going to have loads of fun and I also had every confidence in Emily.

Off they went. I am to expect them back at around 3pm!



No comments:

Post a Comment