Tuesday 7 February 2012

Prey Drive

The early February thaw that we have been experiencing has meant that the ice on the rivers and lakes has been melting leaving a sord of Mallard ducks at Fairy Lake with more areas in which to swim. The ice still clings to the sides of the lake in small landing plateaus.
A paddling of Mallard ducks!



As I stood on the pathway watching the ducks engaged in a merriment of flapping and paddling, Lusi could hardly contain her excitement. Not only was there a larger group than she has been accustomed to seeing on the river walks but the activity level and noise was much more intense. I stand trying to balance the cameras in one hand, at the same time restraining Lusi from a sudden rush towards the water. The ice makes a slippery path towards the water's edge, so I had to stop the photography at frequent intervals in the interest of self survival.


Early February thaw 
I was relieved after five or ten minutes when Lusi settled down more and stopped pulling me towards the water in an attempt to visit with the ducks. One male was bobbing his head up and down while peeping distinctly. I wasn't sure what this behaviour meant but on following up on  it, it might have been a warning call about Lusi's presence. Lusi now seemed to be enjoying the spectacle as much as I until I noticed her head turn suddenly as if she had caught sight of something in the distance and then moments later the ducks took flight and the spectacle came to an end!




No comments:

Post a Comment