Monday 6 February 2012

Going to the barn

Beaverwood Farm
Sunshine and three degrees above freezing! Such beautiful weather for this time of year and now that we have got the whole issue of Lusi being safe from harm's way while in the truck both travelling and when she is waiting for me at the barn, we are all set for our barn trips together.


Dande is doing well too. Last week I drove him twice and on Sunday we went for a walk down the road on the longlines. I had not seen him so relaxed on the road before even when a car passed us by. I did use my rendition of "Speed Bonnie Boat," to keep him calm and relaxed which he likes; this was something that we discovered at one of the early horse shows! I am pleased with the progress that we are making both with Dande and with Lusi towards our carriage driving prepping.


After I was finished with Dande, I took Lusi up onto the hay fields on a longline. We had a little bit of difficulty getting to the fields up the slope where there was still ice but once we were up on the high ground the going was quite dry. She scampered about nose to ground in the sunshine. It was just lovely to be out together. I noticed that she was quite excited as she picked up different scents. I wondered if she was detecting the scent of voles in the ground because she was making chattering "snoffling" sounds as she inhaled rapidly in succession and then exhaled deeply and would then scratch at tufts of grass. This was a scenting behaviour I have not seen before with her.


Lusi asleep in her crate travelling home.
As we returned from our walk on the hay fields to the lower barn we passed all the ponies in the paddock who stopped to stare at Lusi. She didn't pay them much attention. We continued on our way down and I noticed that she had managed to get quite muddy and wet! 


I offered her some water and we packed up our things and headed back home with her all curled up in her crate. Another good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment